[Hand of T. O'Conor:]

October 11nth 1838.


Killora parish in the baronies of Dunkellin and Kiltartan, is bounded on the North, by the parishes of Killeeneen, and Athenry; on the East by Kilconiron, and Lickerrig parishes; on the South by Kilconnickny, Killogilleen and Ardrahan parishes; and on the West by those of Killeely & Killeeneen.

The name is pronounced in Irish, Cill Órtha, which signifies 'the Church of prayers'.

In Killora townland, are the ruins of the old church, which is 63 feet long inside, and between 16 and 17 feet broad. Of the North sidewall, 22 feet in length, were pulled down; 14 feet of the South sidewall between the door and West gable, stand partly (much) battered and in a tottering state. This part is propped on outside with stone work, cemented with lime and sand mortar.


At this distance {14 feet} from the West gable, the door is placed on this sidewall; Its height is 6 feet 8 inches, and its original breadth was about 3 feet. It is constructed with cut stones, 3 feet in height of which, were removed from the side to the west, at the ground. As it is of the pointed style, my time would be but unprofitably employed in representing its form.

On this side wall, but farther towards East gable, is a quadrangular window, 2 feet 1 inch high, and 8 inches broad. And near East gable, on it, is another window, 3½ feet high, 8 inches broad, and circular at top.

At the height of 7 feet from the ground, there is a window on East gable, which is made of cut stones, and is 2 feet broad and of the pointed style.


Eighteen feet (in length) of the East end of the church, is only 14 feet, 4 inches broad, from which circumstance, it must be considered to have been erected at a different period from that at which the remainder of the building was raised.

The church stands in a grave yard. There is another burying place in Tamplemartin - Teampall Martan - townland.

There is an old Castle in ruins in Caheradangan - Cathair a Daingin - townland, which is now translated 'Strongfort', a name in common use in the Country


Roo Castle - Caislean Rubha - stands in ruins in Roo townland. The walls of it, are still standing.

This castle is situated in the East* of Hy-Fiachrach-Aidhne, (with) which territory the barony of Kiltartan and the Southern part of the barony of Dunkellin, (reaching) as far as Clarin Bridge, (are coextensive). Its locality we find, laid down in the Annals of the Four Masters, who record at AD 1599, that -

O'Donnell, {Hugh Roe, who the son of Hugh, who was son of Magnus} dwelt at Ballymoat in the County of Sligo, from the time of the battle of Athbuidhe in the beginning of August to the festival of Saint Brigid in this year.


He thought it too long that he had remained during all this time without making any incursion into the neighbouring territories; but he knew not what particular place now to attack; for he had not left a district, fastness, or wilderness, which he had not either plundered or caused the inhabitants to give him pledges and hostages, excepting only Thomond. Wherefore at the time aforesaid, he ordered an army to be mustered for the purpose of marching into Thomond. ***

As to O'Donnell and his forces, they marched

*The extract from the Annals has 'West', which we presume to be an error, and put for 'East'. Let the original passage in the Irish, be copied, and sent us, which will remove this error, or show that it is not one. [Additional note added later on an unnumbered sheet:] This is not correct: the Rubha mentioned in the Annals of the Four Masters at the year 1599 as in the west of Hy-Fiachrach Aidhne, is now called Rue and lies near Kinvarra on the confines of the Counties of Clare and Galway. J. O'Donovan, Oct 4th 1841.


forward and delayed not until they arrived unnoticed at the other side of the river in Clanrickard ({i.e. Athenry river}), and in the evening pitched an extensive Camp at Ruaidh-bheitheach {now Roevehagh in the South West of the Parish of Killeely} between Kilcolgan and Ardrahin. Here they remained for some time to consult with each other upon the means of getting through this {to them} unknown Country, and also to take refreshments, and that the army excepting those who were on the watch, might take a sleep after their long and wearisome journey.


Thus they remained until midnight, when O'Donnell ordered them to rise up immediately and remove from that neighbourhood before daylight. They did so without delay and proceeded onwards straightways, until by break of day, they arrived in the Eastern extremity of Coill 0 bh-Flannchadha in the territory of Kenel-Fermaie (Fermaic) in Thomond. ***

When O'Donnell perceived the surrounding hills covered and darkened with the herds and heavy Cattle of the territories through which, his troops had passed, he proceeded on his way homewards across the Chain of the rough headed (rugged topped) mountains of Burren, and passing by


Nuadh- Chonghbhail, Turlagh, the Monastety of Corcomroe, and Carcair-na-gcleireach, arrived at Rubha in the west (East {rectè}) of Hy-Fiachrach Aidhne, where he stopped for the night. On the morrow, he passed through the upper part of Clanrickard, and by the gate of Athenty, but nothing more is related concerning his adventures until he arrived at Ballymoat.

About six miles from Loughrea, on the road to Galway is Craughwell village, in a townland of the same name. The local pronunciation of which, in Irish, is Creach Mhaóil. Does it occur in the Annals? (No).

Your obedient Servant,
T. O'Conor